As founders of the Concorde Group of Companies, Irene and Leslie Dubé built a successful business and a reputation for giving back.
“Philanthropy feeds the soul,” says Les, and Irene agrees. “Sharing our blessings with others brings us great peace.”
In 2013, Leslie and Irene Dubé received the Award for Outstanding Philanthropists from the International Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP). This is the organization’s top honour, and the RUH Foundation knows first hand how well deserved the award is.
- In October 2012, the Royal University Hospital Foundation unveiled the Leslie and Irene Dubé Foundation Intensive Care Unit, formally recognizing the Dubés’ generosity. Their donation purchased 17 vital sign monitors for the newly renovated ICU, and they are making a critical difference every day.
- Their generosity helped transform the new Intensive Care Unit – Critical Care Unit family waiting rooms for the comfort and care of anxious families and friends.
- The Irene and Leslie Dubé Centre for Mental Health and Addictions opened its doors at RUH in early 2010, after The Future in Mind Campaign raised $10.8 million for the construction of the centre and the creation of the Community Mental Health Endowment, which funds innovated programs for those living with mental illness in our community. The Dubés donated $3 million—the largest single donation to the RUH Foundation—to advance the treatment of mental illness and addictions in our community.
- The Dubé’s belief in bringing mental health out of the darkness and into the light encouraged others to give as each donation was matched by the Dubés though their $1 million donation in 2017 to build the seven-bed Mental Health Assessment and Short Stay Unit at RUH.
- In December 2019, the Irene and Leslie Dubé Centre Community Mental Health Endowment was established with a commitment of $1 million to the Ready When You Aren’t Campaign. A grant of $25,000 from the fund has already provided 10 comfortable recliner chairs for patients to rest in while recovering at the Dubé Centre.
“The Irene and Leslie Dubé Centre for Mental Health and Addictions has exceeded our expectations,” say the Dubés. “Our hopes and prayers for each and every person who comes to the centre is that they find the peace, solace and healing that their lives require.”