Fellowship Training is a program where Physicians sub-specialize after their Residency training. Since 2005, RUH Foundation has provided funding for 29 sub-specialists to receive Fellowship Training of which we are proud to have retained 26 of these 28 physicians.
After four years of Medical School, the Physician graduates from this undergraduate program with a Medical Degree and can officially call themselves “Doctor”. The Physician then enters a Residency training program in either family medicine or a specialty area. Residency programs vary in length from 2-5 years
Having services, including physician care, readily available and close to home is a key ingredient in maintaining or improving the health of the citizens of our province. Because Fellowship-trained physicians have a greater depth of specialty-specific knowledge, our service delivery capability and options are increased. As a result, patients are often treated in the province rather than travelling out of province for care.
- Fellowship Training allows the physician to undergo additional training so their skills meet those required by more specialized programs.
- The expertise within a medical department is enhanced.
- Many service gaps are filled.
- Young talent is supported and retained in Saskatoon.
- Additional training has lead to the development of new programs so patients can be treated in Saskatchewan rather than being transferred to another Province.
SHA Physicians Who Have Received Fellowship Support
- Dr. Janine Eckstein – Interventional Cardiology
- Dr. Stephen Pylypchuk – Clinical Echocardiography
- Dr. Zane Tymchak – Neurology and Complex Spine Surgery
- Dr. Viktor Skihar – Neuropathology
- Dr. Brett Graham – Neurology
- Dr. Stephen Pylypchuk – Adult Congenital Heart Disease
- Dr. Oksana Prokopchuk-Gauk – Transfusion Medicine
- Dr. Nathan Ginter – Colorectal Surgery
- Dr. Ilia Poliakov – MS Neurology
- Dr. Elke Mau – Pediatric Urology
- Dr. Ian Marie Lano – Dermatopathology
- Dr. Mary Kinloch – Gynecology Pathology
- Dr. Allanna Baillod – Geriatric Psychiatry
- Dr. Sachin Shah – Home Dialysis
- Dr. Sarah Mueller – Trauma Surgery
- Dr. Tanya Holt – Pediatric Critical Care
- Dr. Shari McKinny – Urology
- Dr. Jill Newstead-Angel – Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Dr. Kelly Coverett – Electrophysiology
- Dr. Jason Orvold – Interventional Cardiology
- Dr. Carlo Stuglin – Electrophysiology
- Dr. Kristine Mytopher – Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Dr. Adrian Gamelin – Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Dr. Michael Kelly – Neuroendovascular Intervention
- Dr. Gary Hunter – Critical Care Neurology
- Dr. Edward Atkins – Neuro-Ophthalmology
- Dr. Marla Davidson – Geriatric Psychiatry
- Dr. Camelia Garofeanu – Psychotherapy/Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Dr. Oscar Larios – Infection Control
Please consider donating to the Royal University Hospital Foundation in support of Fellowship Training.